Sunday, September 05, 2010

Today's Dilemma.

So here is today's dilemma.... And I am sorry it is a bit long. While at the local Lowes Home Improvement waiting on the rest of the family to show up. I parked next to a spot reserved for Handicap parking. Up pulls a car of two adult persons and a child. They park in the handicap spot. No visible stickers are hanging from the mirror nor do I see the license plate at this time. After waiting a few and watching all persons get out of the car who are walking and moving about without the aid or assistance of anything I make the comment in a nice non mean way of " you know that is a handicap spot? " With this comment the person replied with " Yes I know, I am a disabled Vet and it is on the plate. " I reply with thank you for your service and I am a disabled Vet also. " This person was not happy with my comment or statement back about being the "SAME" as them. They proceeded to ask me if I was the "parking police" and I advised that I was not but was also trying to watch out for those that do require more space than the average parking spot. They were kind enough to tell me that " you caught me on a good day otherwise....." (mumbling happened there as I did not hear what the person said)

Was I wrong in making that comment? Was it wrong of me to make the statement I did based on the visible information I had at that time prior to being informed of the license plate? Was it still even wrong of me to think that a perfectly able body walking without the assistance of any canes, walkers, wheel chairs, prosthetic devices should be parking in a spot where someone needing more space to accomplish their tasks of parking and going to a store that needs to park in such a space?

I am not trying to be a jerk, I understand the need for such spaces for those that need them. I just fail to understand why a person that is fully capable of walking without assistance of any kind needs to park in a handicap spot. If anything that very person should be more understanding of those that do need it and not just park there out of convenience. Am I rambling on here or do I have an resemblance of a point worth noting?

No comments: